Why choose an AILA lawyer?

Protect yourself, your family and your business!

Only a U.S.-licensed lawyer or accredited representative is authorized and qualified to assist with your immigration case. Unlike consultants, lawyers have completed extensive education and training before being licensed to represent clients. Lawyers are also required to maintain high ethical standards: and if they don’t, you can contact your local bar association for action. When a consultant promises to help—but doesn’t deliver—the damage may not be fixable, and there may be no one to turn to.

By promising too much—and knowing too little—unauthorized consultants can damage your chances. Many are little better than scam artists, taking your money and never having to answer for the results.

It is against the law for “public notaries” or even foreign lawyers who are not licensed in the U.S. to provide immigration advice—even “just” filling out forms is something that only a licensed, properly trained lawyer or accredited representative should do.

An accredited representative works with a nonprofit community or religious organization that has been recognized as having the skill and training to assist people with their immigration matters. You can find a list of accredited representatives at the Department of Justice’s web site.

Be careful who you listen to!

  • Be smart! If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • Don’t believe it if someone tells you about a secret law or claims to have connections or special influence with any agency.
  • Never sign an application that contains false information, and try to avoid signing blank forms. If you must sign a blank form, make sure you get a copy of the completed form and review it for accuracy before it is filed.
  • Always get proof of filing—a copy or government filing receipt—when anything is submitted in your case.
  • Insist on a written contract that details all fees and expenses and make sure you receive a receipt, especially if you pay cash. If terms change, get a written explanation.
  • Don’t let anyone “find” you a sponsor or spouse to get you a green card: it’s illegal.

Get your immigration advice from a licensed AILA lawyer.

All AILA lawyers found on this website

  1. have been an approved AILA member for at least 2 years;
  2. carry professional liability insurance;
  3. have completed at least 9 hours of Continuing Legal Education (CLE) classes within the last year and
  4. are licensed and in good standing with a State Bar Association.